This is still a work in progress. I will update it as I finish.
The first thing that I did was try a new version of the poster. I tried adding more categories (100 millions, 10 millions, 1 millions and so on), but it didn’t go well. This was the result of that.
Once I had decided that this idea wasn’t really working, I went back to my previous idea and refined it. I changed the colors of the numbers to give them more contrast and moved the words to make them easier to see.
I then started experimenting with exhibit ideas. For the first, I thought about hanging film reels which could represent countries. The closer the film reel is to the front, the more people attend the cinema there. The second idea is to make a series of movie posters that show the top countries next to the data map.
Here are some larger versions of the images above:
From my feedback from last week, I learned that my map needed to feel more related to my subject matter. In this first image I tried to do that using the old movie count down clocks on top of the top ten countries. However, this idea didn’t come out as clear as I hoped, so I then moved on to trying to create the map I made last week with film reels instead.
For my first prototype the idea is to have multiple popcorn bowls representing different countries. The number of hands will be higher for countries with more people that attend the cinema.
For this prototype I used a photo I took of a theater and colored the photos to represent different countries. The more chairs, the higher the number of people who attend the cinema in that country.
This week the focus for my how-to poster was refining the look and steps of the poster and then testing the poster on people who have never seen it before to see if they could follow the steps. I started the process with doing a little more research to find ways I could make my poster look more like a blueprint. After I did my research, I refined the look of my posters.
Once I had a refined poster to work with, I then took my posters into user testing to see if people could complete the steps. Once I had done some user tests, I had some of the same errors coming up every time. I decided to take a break from testing at this point and start working on some refinements for my poster. I first started by changing the layout of the poster, and then I worked and fixing the steps.
With my new steps, I decided to do one last user test. The changes turned out to be incredibly successful!
For this upcoming week my plan is to work on the line quality of my steps and try adding a more subtle texture than what I tested earlier. I will then be able to print and mount the final product. Here is a bigger version of the current look of my design:
This week I began making a how to poster on how to fold a paper airplane. The challenge with this project is figuring out a way to show someone how to do this without using words. I began my process with researching styles of how to posters as well as symbols and styles I wanted to consider using in my poster.
Once I had an idea of the style I was going to go for, I folded a couple paper airplanes myself to look at the best way I could describe the process to people. Between the two experiments that I did, I found a 7 step process that I think will be enough to to teach someone to fold a paper airplane.
Once my research and experiments were complete, I began my sketches. I settled on two ideas: the propeller because I thought it was a clever use of a plane and the blueprint to show the paper airplane as if it was being created by an engineer.
After creating my paper sketches, I made my two ideas digital. The blueprint sketch is for sure my favorite. It looks far more professional and I think it shows a much clearer process. There isn’t as much going on, so the steps are more obvious and easy to follow. In the upcoming weeks, I plan to proceed with this idea.