1. Project Corrections / Time spent: 10 minutes spent on rearranging and fixing text on flier project. I had too much text on the bottom of the page so I moved it up to where the rest of the text is and only left the logo at the bottom. Two hours spent on completely redoing the web page project from scratch. I added a new background image that I took and edited in Photoshop. The text and most of the HTML stayed the same. I mainly edited the CSS.
2. Message: The message is to display all of my Comm 130 work from the semester.
3. Audience: Those who are interested in seeing my work, such as job interviewers.
4. Top Thing Learned: How to use master pages in Adobe InDesign.
5. Future application of Visual Media: Visual Media will be a great asset to me as I work toward a career in Web Design and Development. I think my design skills have already improved massively. Having visual media skills will also open up other opportunities for me. For example, I have already been asked to create some logos for people as a result for this class.
6. Color scheme and color names: Complementary colors blue and orange.
7. Title Font Name & Category: Name: Ebrima Category: Sans Serif
8. Copy Font Name & Category: Name: Nyala Category: Old Style
9.Thumbnails of Images used:
10. Sources (Links to images on original websites / with title of site):
- Description: A double sided folding brochure.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): For this project I started by planning out the layout for the brochure. Since I planed to make the black and white image overlap the seahorse, I had to figure out how to measure out everything so that it would line up perfectly. Just to note a side skill, I used algebra for this such as the midpoint formula to figure out where to place the image perfectly with the bleed (the bleed made the measurements a little more complicated so algebra helped there). After I had a layout, I set up my Adobe InDesign document with guidelines. I then edited the photos in Photoshop including making one image black and white and making a clipping mask of another. Once the images were ready I placed them in the InDesign document. I then created a logo in Adobe Illustrator and placed it into the InDesign document. Finally I added the text and did a text wrap it and added shadows. Once this was done I added crop marks for the diagonal cuts and exported the file with bleed crop marks for printing. Once printed I cut the completed project with an xacto knife and folded the brochure.
- Message: The message is to advertise an aquarium in Rexburg and the exhibits it has available, and especially the upcoming events and exhibits for summer 2015.
- Audience: People who like aquariums and live in the Rexburg area.
- Top Thing Learned: How to plan out a document front and back and implement that plan in InDesign.
- Color scheme and color names: Monochromatic using blue.
- Title Font Name & Category: Font: Rockwell Category: Slab-Serif
- Copy Font Name & Category: Font: Gadugi Category: Sans-Serif
- Word Count of copy: 277
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites):
nemo fish: https://www.wallpaperama.com/wallpapers/clown-fish-aquarium.html
Business Card (8.5 X 11 layout):
Business Card (Large Layout):
- Description: A similar business card and letterhead using a personal brand and logo.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I started this project by sketching out what I wanted my logo to look like. I then took a picture of my sketch and put it into Adobe Illustrator to trace with the pen tool. Once I had a logo, I imported it into Adobe Indesign to create the letter head and business card. For the letterhead I made the margins 0.5 inches and put grey lines along these to create the design. For the business card, I kept the line theme by putting the lines 0.125 inches from the edge. I then made the main text 8pt and my name 11pt on the back of the business card and the letterhead. For the front of the business card I made my name bigger and increased the kerning so that is aligned with “Web Design and Development.” I made the text grey to match the grey lines. Finally I made my name all caps with the text tool in Adobe Indesign.
- Message: The message of my business card and letterhead is my own brand as a web designer and developer with main contact information included.
- Audience: The audience is people who are making a website and need someone to help them or make it for them.
- Top Thing Learned: I learned how to make my own font using the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator.
- Color scheme and color names: Monochromatic color scheme using teal.
- Title Font Name & Category: Coolvetica – Sans Serif
- Copy Font Name & Category: Californian FB – Oldstyle
- Description: Inspirational photo montage that includes two images and a quote.
- Process: I began this project by looking for resources to use, first by finding the quote and then by looking for pictures that related to the quote. I then worked on combining the forest image and the runner image in Photoshop. I put a mask on the runner and took out most of the background of her image. After masking the image, I started trying out filters and decided I liked the effect called dissolve. I brought in more of the background in the runner’s picture to make the dissolve effect more consistent across the image such as behind the word “line.” I then added the text, making the key word “finish line” and “journey” a different font to make them stand out. Then I added the purple text box to create a triadic color scheme. Finally, I aligned the text and added drop shadows to make it more legible.
- Message: The message is the quote from Dieter F. Uchtdorf about how in life we often forget to enjoy what is happening now when we focus too much on the future.
- Audience: The audience is focused on Latter Day Saint church members since they will know who Dieter F. Uchtdorf is and it is likely they have heard the talk “Of Regrets and Resolutions” which is where this quote comes from.
- Top Thing Learned: I learned what a Photoshop mask is and how to use it to combine photographs.
- Filter / Colorization used and where it was applied: Dissolve, which was used on the runner.
- Color scheme and color names: Triadic color scheme using the colors green, orange, and purple.
- Title Font Name & Category: Windsong (Emphasis words use this font), Script
- Copy Font Name & Category: Colaborate-Thin, Sans-Serif
- Thumbnails of Images used:
Forest Image from 7-Themes at the url: http://7-themes.com/6861171-forest-path.html
Runner image found at http://sunrise.sbhk.org.hk/teamview.php?id=715